LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 64-bit support for modules and toolkits

I've just finished installing the 64-bit version of LabVIEW 2009 under 64-bit Windows 7 Professional.  However as noted above very few toolkits and modules are available for this version. Some of those MIA include MathScript, VI Analyzer, Advance Signal Processing Toolkit, etc. I realize development and testing takes time but think it's reasonable to ask that NI put up a table or chart of toolkits and modules clearly showing which ones are available/compatible with 64-bit LabVIEW, as well as timelines for when these will be available.

(Apologies for cross-posting from the Ideas Exchange but that board doesn't seem to get much traffic...)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19
(8,465 Views)

Hi Magma,

The Vision Development Module is currently the only module available for 64-bit LabVIEW.  We currently have not released a timeline for other modules, but we are working on other 64-bit support.  The links below summarize the current functionality of LabVIEW 64 bit.

LabVIEW 64-Bit vs. 32-Bit Applications FAQ

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/71E9408E6DEAD76C8625760B006B6F98

Announcing 64-bit LabVIEW

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/10184

Nick Keel 

Applications Engineering 

National Instruments

Nick Keel
Product Manager - NI VeriStand and Model Interface Toolkit
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19
(8,430 Views)

Hi Nick.

I've looked at that documentation before, so I guess what I'm really looking for is a timeline... Win XP 64 came out in 03/2005 and Vista 64-bit in 11/2006, so NI shouldn't be caught by surprise. Given the very high sampling rates and very large data sets that NI hardware is capable of generating, the memory capacity of a 64-bit system is increasingly needed (at least for some users). I'm not saying that everyone's going to rush out and install LabVIEW on systems with 48 GB of RAM, but take a 32-bit system with 2 GB or even 4 GB of RAM, subtract the RAM that is reserved for the OS, video or otherwise inaccessible, and it's not that hard to run of out memory. Hacks like the /3GB boot switch don't cut it.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19
(8,422 Views)

Right now I don't have the timeline you are looking for.  It stands to reason that further support will be established in the future, but I do not have any further information.  I apologize for the lack of specifics. 

Nick Keel 

Applications Engineering 

National Instruments

Nick Keel
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
(8,397 Views)
The timeframe I was looking for, just released by NI: http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/10383?metc=mtsdjy
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19
(8,234 Views)
Make sure you note that the asterisks denote that the toolkit/module is running in WoW (Windows on Windows) and is not a true 64-bit add on.
Regards,

Jon S.
National Instruments
LabVIEW NXG Product Owner
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19
(8,214 Views)

Just to be clear on this, the asterisks are for toolkits that will be for 32-bit LabVIEW on 64-bit Windows 7.  They are NOT for LabVIEW 64-bit.  They run on the Windows 32 bit emulation layer, meaning that they are 32 bit.  The items that are supported on LabVIEW 64-bit do not have asterisks in the table.

Nick Keel 

Applications Engineering 

National Instruments

Nick Keel
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19
(8,212 Views)

Hi Folks -

I have installed LabVIEW 64-bit on Win7 64-bit platform.  The windows managment utilities from

http://sine.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/4935

are crucial in one of my applications that I have to go to the 64-bit version of LabVIEW for because of the very large datasets I am working with.

The windows managment utilities do not seem to work in 64-bit LabVIEW.  Can someone else check this?  NI - can you please create a set that will work.   These are absolutely critical to manage windows in my application.

Thanks,

Don

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19
(7,771 Views)

Hello DonRoth,

Unfortunately these VIs won't work for LabVIEW 64bit because it is trying to implement functions and dlls that are 32-bit. We at NI do not create code for customers but I would be willing to assist you in helping you with this design. Are there particular functions that you need for your application? How are you using them in your code? Any information like this can help me provide you with the information to create this functions in LabVIEW.

Jim St
National Instruments
RF Product Support Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19
(7,756 Views)

Hello Jim -

Thanks for taking the time to help me move forward on this. I expected that these used 32-bit DLLs.  I am trying to be at the forefront of the LabVIEW 64-bit use since I have been waiting for this for quite some time due to the large data sets I have to process. 

I have a fairly complicated application that involves a number of floating windows open at times and I have to control which are in back and which are in front in some cases.  Additionally, there are various other function related to the operation of the windows depending on some user actions.

I use:

Make Windows Always on Top.vi

Minimize Window.vi

Move Window to Bottom.vi

Move Window.vi

Restore Window.vi

Again, thanks for looking into this and please advise.

Sincerely,

Don

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19
(7,734 Views)